Friday, November 13, 2009

Living In A Fantasy Land

It is pretty hard to find a woman who likes sports, but I definitely scored a touchdown with my lady friend for life. Yeah, she likes some painful sports like figure skating and gymnastics and doesn’t really get pro basketball or the NHL, but she is genuinely interested in baseball and football. In fact, she’s such a football fan that I asked her to fill the final spot in one of my fantasy football leagues.

Not sure what I was thinking with this one. On one hand, I wanted some leverage to spend Sunday afternoons at a place with more TVs than the CNN newsroom. On the other hand, I had no idea how much work would be involved in pulling off this fantasy football experiment. First, I had to help her decide which players to choose while not screwing up my team over the course of twelve painfully long draft rounds. Now that the league has started, I’m consulted on only the most difficult of personnel decisions and I’ve quickly come to learn that there is really no upside for me.

The wife’s team started out with a couple of solid wins. I was proud of her, but then came the bragging to friends and family that she was a fantasy football star. No mention was made of the guy who manned the draft for a couple of hours or picked the best team name in the league – No Jockstrap Necessary. This past weekend, however, when I suggested that she bench a player who had a breakout weekend, you’d think I was the guy pulling all of the strings.

No credit when times are good, no respect when the going gets rough. And I can’t even imagine the consequences if her team ends up better than mine. This is far from a fantasy situation.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'd say you lucked out on finding a woman who likes sports. Congratulations.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Come back anytime.

    My Mind Wandered

    ReplyDelete
  2. I helped my woman draft a fantasy baseball team for a league that is made up of guys that she works with. A daily lineup Roto league too, which bothers me because I've been a weekly fantasy point league guy for about 20 years now.

    She finished in third. By doing virtually nothing all year long. I even paid for the league fees. Guess who is spending her winnings? Yeah.

    ReplyDelete